Saturday, January 22, 2011
Pet peeve: 1/22/11
"That's my advise, take it or leave it".
This expression is missing a vital piece. It's fine to not take someone's advise, but do not return to that person after you have screwed your situation up from not listening to them from the beginning!. It's one thing to have someone impose you with their idea of what would be best for you, but when someone actively seeks advise and then chooses to ignore it is a huge pet peeve of mine.
So, if your going to ask for advise, ignore it, and worsen your situation, do not go crawling back to the very person that gave you the advise which you chose to ignore!
-April Hatfield
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Your blog makes me laugh because this has happened to me so many times, it's actually become a laughable situation. It's almost more fun for me now to watch the non-advice-taker crumble and come crawling back to admit that I was right. Also, that photo is simply hilarious. I think I'll like your blog very much.
ReplyDeleteI love it when I don't ask for advice, and then get so much that it's difficult to decide what to do. "Well you could do this, or this, or even this. Maybe this!" and then the killer gets added on: "Well it's really up to you now."
ReplyDeleteEven better: asking the same person for advice, and getting an "I dunno."
I also agree: the photo is high-larious.
I like how you allow your emotion to show through when writing your blog, April. Emotion helps the reader connect with the writer.
ReplyDeleteTo avoid such situations when someone asks me for advice, I usually ask them if they really want my advice before I give it. People often know what the right choice is, but that’s not what they want to do. Therefore, if they take your advice and something goes wrong, they can blame you instead of themselves. “Do you have any advice to offer?” usually means “I’m going to tell you my idea, and I want you to agree with it because that’s what I’m going to do.”